7-Zip is a compression software allowing users to compress files efficiently and quite easily. Here is a brief description of how the program works. It is basically open source software. Most of the source code of 7-Zip is under the GNU and LGPL license. The unRAR code comes under a mixed license.
Download and Installation
You need to go to the home page of 7-Zip and select the version of this software that you would choose to download. Once the download is done, click the “Save File” option. After that, you have to safe the destination folder where the 7-Zip software will be saved. After the installation is over, click “Finish”.
• The program has high compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA2 and LZMA compression.
• It has a strong AES – 256 encryption in 7Z and ZIP formats
• 7-Zip has a plug-in for FAR Manager as well
• For GZIP and ZIP formats, the software provides a compression ratio which is 2-10 percent better than the ration provided by WinZip and PKZip
7-Zip is compatible with Windows 7/8/10/XP/Vista/ 2000/2003/2008/2012/XP/NT. The software is also compatible with MAC. It has localizations for eighty seven languages including French, German, Japanese, Thai, Spanish, Polish, Chinese Simpl., Chinese Trad., Vietnamese, Portuguese Brazil and Esperanto.
• This software is more efficient, quick and easy to use.
• Since the software is available for free, it serves as s bigger advantage.
• 7-Zip has a powerful file manager with a powerful command line version. It has also got self extracting potentiality for 7z format.
• 7-Zip is dedicated compression software that gives you better control on how you archive file along with the compression ratio and the container format.
• This program works slower as compared to WinZip.
• It is not compatible with some Zip programs.
Before approaching customer support for this program, always make sure that you are using the latest version of 7-Zip. In case you want to complain about some other issue, make sure that you are using the latest development version of the software. It can be an alpha or beta version. May be using a new version will fix your problem. If you have a 64-bit Windows x64, then you should use a 7-Zip x64. You can check out the 7-Zip help system as well. You can check the FAQ section by visiting the websites of 7-Zip. This might help you know more about the software. You can also find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the software and its function. Since, it is available for free, you are not required to register or pay for this software. It can be used on any computer. However, it is to be noted that 7-zip supports RAR 4/3/2 formats and does not support RAR5 archives. If you have the latest version of 7-Zip, then you can expect the software to support RAR5 archives.
These days, people look for compression softwares that would work smoothly without any hassle. Apart from that, we also look for softwares that come with an easy installation process. 7-Zip is definitely one of them. As mentioned above, the installation process of 7-Zip is really easy and can be done by anyone who is accustomed to the basic use of computers. The 7-Z file format is one of the most interesting features of 7-Zip. The compression in 7z format is better than the original Zip format. Quite similar to that of RAR, the 7-Zip format allows its users to split one archive into several files. The compression ratios of the 7-Zip file format are generally within 2 percent of RAR file format. Both RAR and 7-Zip compresses file equally well.
Ultimately, 7-Zip can be termed as efficient, easy to use, fast and reliable extraction software, which is totally free. There are a few minor drawbacks listed above, which appear light in front of its heavy features. It is a fine or, you can even call it ‘a superior replacement’.
Homepage – http://www.7-zip.org