Another large website was hacked today and email addresses and passwords of over a million people were stolen from the Ubuntu community forum. This follows a string of break-ins including Gawker, Yahoo, Twitter, Spotify, government websites, schools and many lesser known sites. There are over 50 million known stolen credentials.
It is important to re-evaluate your password management.
- Never use the same password on two different sites.
- Do not use any word likely to be in a dictionary by itself.
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols.
- Length is key to making it hard to crack your password. Make it no less than 8 characters.
- Consider using a pass phrase instead of a traditional password.
- Use a password manager such as KeePass or Lastpass.
- Check to see if your email address has been found in a hack.
- These are some general guidelines and suggestions. Be safe out there.