When other programs fail to remove or even find viruses, trojans, and other infections or malicious software, Malwarebytes comes through. Professionals and the computer savvy have long employed Malwarebytes to identify and remove stubborn malware that has eluded other efforts, earning it a sterling reputation. With nearly a 5-star rating from over 11,000 reviews, it’s easy to trust this software. That’s pretty impressive for shareware!
While originally available only for Windows computers, Malwarebytes is now compatible with Mac, Chromebook, Android, and iOS, so no device goes without protection. Each of these solutions targets threats to the specific system. For example, Malwarebytes for Chromebook looks for bad apps while the iOS app takes on spam calls and texts. Every day, Malwarebytes detects or blocks over 20 million threats to its users’ systems.
Malwarebytes is traditionally used to detect and either remove or quarantine viruses and other malicious software. However, the most recent version also includes a browser guard to protect against incoming attacks and infections on web pages. Traditionally used by novice tech enthusiasts and personal users, Malwarebytes may also be appropriate for some businesses, thanks to cloud-based endpoint protection.
- Simplified user interface: Makes using the program effortless starting from installation.
- Advanced scanning: Quick and full scans detect existing infections, while custom scans focus on specific files or folders. In addition, users can schedule scans and sort harmful files by type.
- Scan reports: Monthly peace-of-mind reports update users of their system status.
- Allow list: Whitelist desirable programs or files to avoid false positives.
- Browser guard: Protects against cryptojackers, tech support scams, and blocks third-party cookies that track the user’s online activity, and protects against tech support scams. This tool also blocks on-page ads without triggering website ad-block detection systems more successfully than other tools.
- Support tool: This optional Malwarebytes download automatically scans for and fixes common problems with the software. Users can submit and reply to support tickets, and the tool can also save logs to the user’s desktop for further troubleshooting.
Even the free version of Malwarebytes is more capable than some paid antivirus software. However, for those who need more than basic anti-malware features, Malwarebytes’ subscriptions for single or multiple devices offer improved security and real-time malware blocking. There are both personal and business subscriptions, both of which include protection against phishing attacks, ransomware, and zero-day exploits. In addition, Malwarebytes offers a VPN bundle with additional privacy reassurance via 400+ servers around the world. The VPN also includes WiFi security.
Anyone who wants to increase security when using the Internet will find Malwarebytes a useful tool in their arsenal. After the initial Malwarebytes download, new users get a 14 day trial of the program’s premium features, after which the software reverts to the free version. This is a great way to determine if the paid subscription is worth the cost, but some personal users may find the free version is enough for their needs.