If you’ve ever tried to use Apache, you know how difficult it can be to install everything correctly. But things can get even trickier if you’re trying to install Perl, MariaDB, or PHP. Luckily, there’s a handy, open-source software that can help make installing and using Apache much easier. Introducing: XAMPP!
Why Download XAMPP?
For any website developers out there, XAMPP’s lightweight program makes it much easier to create local web hosting servers on your computer. This way you can test out plugins or changes to your website without directly affecting your live website. Since many of XAMPP’s components are also used in live web hosting, any changes made to the test site can be quickly and easily transferred to the live site. Overall, this. is a handy program that quickly and easily installs several essential programs on your computer.
How to Install XAMPP for Windows
- Choose your version of XAMPP you wish to install. There are several downloads, each with different included programs, so choose the one that most fits your needs to download.
- Please note: After downloading XAMPP, you may receive a security warning, there is no reason to worry, though. XAMPP is 100% safe and is trusted by many web developers.
- Open the file once it has finished downloading. It will most likely be in your “downloads folder.
- Follow the prompts until you land on a page with a list of applications to install. PHP and Apache are required to run XAMPP, but you can pick and choose the other programs you’d like to install. Choose the programs you need and click next.
- Choose your installation location
- If you’d like to learn more about Bitnami, check the “Learn more about Bitnami for XAMPP” box and click next.
- XAMPP will now begin installing. Once finished, you’ll be prompted to select your preferred language. Choose it and click save.
- Run xampp_control as an administrator. You’ll see different programs with red Xs beside their name. Click on any programs you’d like to install and follow the prompts.
You’ve now installed XAMPP!
Will I Ever Have to Pay for XAMPP?
XAMPP is a completely free software for web developers to use. For the most part, you can use XAMPP for just about any project under the GNU General Public License, but make sure you check to individual licenses for each software before you use them. If you wish to use XAMPP for commercial purposes, it is still available for free, but it’s especially important that you check the licenses of each product (especially if you are using MySQL. The licenses can be tricky).